Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pandora's Box

Pandora is a Web 2.o "radio". The site takes internet radio to the next level -- you can explore and share music for free. Like satellite radio, you can listen to customized "stations" based on your music preferences; unlike satellite radio, you don't need expensive players or service subscriptions.

The site has well-organized and thoughtfully put together in what the founder calls the "Music Genome Project". Besides offering music to listen to, you can find artists' biographies and photographs of the musicians and the album artwork (I mean CD covers). I explored the rock music offerings and found both newer musicians (my "American Idol" fave David Cook) and established artists (U2, The Beatles).

For my library's Web 2.0 exploration project, we had to study whether or not this 2.0 app would be useful in a library setting. Although I like the site and would use it at home for personal enjoyment, I don't see how Pandora could be used in a library. Other than as a research tool for finding information about the music and artists. But we have reference books that provide more in-depth information. However, I can see where this site could be used in an education setting: a teacher or professor could play songs for a music history class without having to switch CDs or make mix tapes.

Rock on!

No comments: